Friday, October 16, 2009

Chicago

So I had a most awesome weekend in Chicago.

It all started with essentially getting stood up/majorly fucked around/ whatever by a stupid American "bad-ass" so I was left with two days to go til Fall Break and no plans....

Ok so I booked a bus to Chicago...then discovered there was no accomodation to be found in Chicago apart from some hostel with comments such as...

bed bugs, mice, crack dealers..."should be quarantined and condemned" etc

so I'm like fuck this, lets try and find a couch on couchsurfing, which also didn't work, so my good friend Daniel suggested a site called Craig's List which is like our gumtree and I found a random person renting out his room short term...PICK ME PICK ME I CRIED! so we spoke and he had had a few drinks and was feeling adventurous and I got myself a cool place to stay, yeeeeha!

and the weekend was great, I got to hang out at the beach at Lake Michigan and look at the water which calmed me down no end, I didn't even realise how much I was missing the sea until I was there just looking out at this great expanse of water, the water is free, it's nature, it cannot be controlled by humans, it has its own spirit. I am so lucky to have grown up by the sea. It was also just great to be in a city, where I could be by myself and be independant, not like in Evansville where I have to depend on people for lifts if I want to do anything.

Damn it was depressing when the man next to me on the bus on the way home told me I was back in Evansville and I had no idea. It is indistinguishable from any other place we'd driven through in the Midwest, just an expanse of highways with fast-food joints and motels and screw all else. Living the American Dream!

And my experience staying with my new friend Matthis was interesting too, Chicago's very own Phil Lynott, looking forward to my next couch-surfing experience, it's how I plan to roll for the whole of Christmas Break and I hope I have a friend in Chicago that I can always call on for Tamale (though I'm still not 100% clear what that is!) and dive bars!

No comments:

Post a Comment